Thursday 31 May 2007

My Initiation Into Rock

Nowadays anybody who knows me personally has ample knowledge of my madness about a peculiar phenomenon usually known throughout the world as Rock Music. But yes, there was a day when I was completely ignorant about this whole business of rock, when Beatles and Elvis were merely some names that appeared here and there like thousands of other names. So how did Animesh the Ignorant became Animesh the Enlightened? Let's find out the answer.

My family was always into music, especially my dad. When I was young, he would almost sit daily with his harmonium and engage in another round of Rabindra Sangeet. But whether this really had any effect on me, I don't actually know, as until class 7 when I was about 12, I had almost no interest in music. As far as I can remember now, the virus of music began to infect me from class 8. The pioneer virus (as I would like to stylize it) was the music of the incomparable Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne, composed by the great maestro Satyajit Ray himself (I intend to write something on this in the future). And that was the record which pulled the trick. I had all the songs in a single cassette (which was actually a legacy of my mother) and I remember playing it over and over again in that Sanyo cassette player. Well, 5 years down the line and it's still among my all time favourites.

In the same year I began exploring western pop songs (all from cassettes still) which included some Backstreet Boys, a little of the Beastie Boys and a sprinkling of Cliff Richards as well. The reader may note that at that time these names mattered very little (if indeed anything at all), and all that mattered was that I was listening to English songs!

Class 9 came and with it came my computer and it changed my whole life forever. Accessing music was no problem now (provided I stopped playing games on the comp). Classes 9 and 10 were spent drowned in the music of Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Michael Learns To Rock (MLTR) and some other pop groups. The only rockers in my life at that time were maybe Bryan Adams, Bon Jovi, and a peeping Linkin Park. But class 11 saw me leaving the false façade of pop and pop culture and embrace rock and its ethos, especially DIY. It was not only the musical aspect that precipitated this change, but the ideology associated with real rock (a little of which tallied with my own independent thinking).

By this time I was completely into Rock music. Slowly in a span of 2 years I discovered Aerosmith, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Queen, R.E.M., Scorpions, The Police, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Bruce Springsteen, Guns N' Roses, Green Day, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Rolling Stones etc etc...

So that's my story. Maybe by western standards I am not that ardent rock fan, but by desi Indian standards indeed I am.

Hail Rock!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, Tried Steppenwolf's "born to be wild"?

Anonymous said...

Ahem Greeb Day?????

Animesh Ray said...

hehe...a typo...corrected it

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or is it still showing greeb day?

By this time I was completely into Rock music. Slowly in a span of 2 years I discovered Aerosmith, Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Limp Bizkit, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Queen, R.E.M., Scorpions, The Police, AC/DC, Deff Leppard, Bruce Springsteen, Guns N' Roses, Greeb Day, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Rolling Stones etc etc...

BTW, It's Def Leppard.

Animesh Ray said...

Shit...didn't post it last time after editing it...done now. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah. Now It's okay. :-)

Anonymous said...

I guess I had a headstart on you as far as listening to music is concerned, coz I've been listening to it since well as far back as I can remember. :-D

Animesh Ray said...

Yeah...maybe I would started sooner had I got the resources. The only resource I had at that time was limited to 4 or 5 cassettes and a terribly old cassette player (bought by my dad nearly 25 years ago!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah. There I was lucky, coz I had a great load of cassettes and a not so old player. Although the Internet(BB especially) has been the greatest help.

Animesh Ray said...

Yeah sure it was, but maybe the Computer was the great grandpa of help :)

Anonymous said...

Dude, How come Black Sabbath ain't in your list? :-o And Deep Purple?

Animesh Ray said...

Hey man that was just an indicative list and not in any exhaustive.

And also I particularly mentioned only those bands which played a major part in my discovering and initiating into the rock world.

Those bands came a wee bit later.

Anonymous said...

Oh. Well. hey, wanna exchange songs someday?

Animesh Ray said...

Sure dude, I am always on the look-out. Pop in any day. And also be prepared to face me popping in! :)

Reema said...

Hehe enjoyed your post, and quite liked the ending: By desi standards.. :P Nice. Hmm, no I think I'm an all-rounder, listen to everything (usually the radio makes up for this).. kinda sad, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, you don't even know my house, how will you pop in? :-p

Animesh Ray said...

@Reema
Well I too hear many kinds of music (except most of pop).
Hmmmm....radio is a thing I surely miss a little too much.

@ Neelu
Hmmmm...okkk. I will rock in!

And yeah...Rolling Stones need no address!

Anonymous said...

Imagine what if there was cracked guide which teach win a lottery 98% of time. Find out this site if you want to win lottery almost every time you play ...
[url=http://how-to-win-a-lottery.net]how to win a lottery[/url]

Anonymous said...

How do you copyright content in your site (Webcomic specifically)?


Have a look at my web blog :: vaginal mesh lawsuits

Anonymous said...

Sometimes seasons reasons some shoes might well be[url=http://niketrainersuksale.webeden.co.uk]Nike Trainers UK[/url]
temporarily will not have the opportunity[url=http://tomscanadaoutlet.snappages.com]http://tomscanadaoutlet.snappages.com[/url]
wear such shoes discovered[url=http://addnikecanadastore.snappages.com]Nike Shoes Online[/url]
properly sell them[url=http://toplouboutinuksales.webeden.co.uk]http://toplouboutinuksales.webeden.co.uk[/url]
during the[url=http://louboutintrainersuk.blog.co.uk]Christian Louboutin Shoes[/url]
right put in to avoid unnecessary harm to shoes[url=http://salelouisvuittonuk.webeden.co.uk]Louis Vuitton Bags[/url]

Although if the insole in fact is bad, [url=http://cheapnikeblazersuk.webeden.co.uk]Nike Blazers UK[/url]
it was going to need to take a soft brush and water gently scrub. Should be noted that,[url=http://justlouboutintrainersuk.webeden.co.uk]Christian Louboutin UK[/url]
avoid chemical cleaning agents cleaning, or individuals make the insole surface of cloth off.[url=http://shoppradabagsuk.webeden.co.uk]Prada Sale[/url]

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin